Loading 3D model
Abernethy: Stone 7 3D Model
This stone was dug up in Abernethy churchyard in 1894, and at the beginning of the 20th century stood in the churchyard, near the church. The stone was broken at some point in the 20th century, but both major fragments survived and the stone is displayed as a whole in the museum. The roughly tooled stone bears a crude, undecorated cross, with a shaft carved in relief on one face. It is an early cross, featuring no other symbols, and may have been used as a grave marker. On the lower fragment an edge can be made out, as well as recent chisel marks under a coating of mortar, dating from its use as a building stone. Tool marks which may date from the original carving are evident on the left hand side of the stone. Also on this side and on the reverse there are signs of fire damage.