Aghaboe Abbey Font (LA022-019004-)3D Model
A monastery was founded at Aghaboe (Achadh Bhó / Field of the cows), Co. Laois in the sixth century by St Cainnech (Canice/Kenny). The monastery was plundered and burnt a number of times, and in 1234 the church was rebuilt as an Augustinian priory (LA022-019002-). Medieval octagonal-shaped baptismal font lying on the surface of the graveyard to the west of the Church of Ireland parish church which is built on the site of the thirteenth century Augustinian foundation (LA022-019002-). The font and the graveyard were known in medieval times as the insignia of the parochial church. This stone font was located inside the church and used for the sacrament of baptism. The baptismal water cleansed sins, promised salvation, and welcomed the infant into the Christian community or parish. For more information, visit: https://maps.archaeology.ie/HistoricEnvironment/?SMRS=LA022-019004- For more information on the Augustinian church, visit: https://maps.archaeology.ie/HistoricEnvironment/?SMRS=LA022-019002-
CC AttributionCreative Commons Attribution
Comments