Annaberg Sugar Plantation WindmillYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
Situated on St. John Island in the eastern Caribbean, the Virgin Islands National Park preserves the ruins of the Annaberg sugar plantation, and is one of the finest remaining example of Danish Colonial Era industrial agriculture in the Virgin Islands. A modest holding when it was established in 1722, the plantation was enlarged and modernized in 1796 when James Murphy purchased and consolidated several plantations, adding one of the largest windmill on the island and a sugar factory.
The windmill was one of the tallest on the island standing 40 feet high with sails that could be manually directed into the prevailing wind. More efficient than the existing animal mill, on windy days, the windmill doubled the amount of cane that could be crushed.
LiDAR and photogrammetric data are available for this project at openheritage3D.org