The Brancacci Chapel is a chapel located in the church of Santa Maria del Carmine in Florence, Italy. The frescoes that cover the walls depict scenes from the life of Saint Peter.
Decorated by the artists Masolino and Masaccio sometime between the years 1425 and 1428 (when Masaccio likely died), the Chapel was left unfinished when the artists left Florence (Masolino) or undertook other commissions (Masaccio).
The frescoes were finished by Filippino Lippi in the 1480’s.
The Chapel is noteworthy for its revolutionary use of constructed perspective. Masolino and Masaccio worked closely together on the scenes of the second tier of the frescoes, with each artist contributing elements to the other’s overall scene. Unfortunately a number of the frescoes were damaged or lost completely, namely those in the lunettes and on the main altar wall.