Caer Gai 17th c. House, Llanuwchllyn, Gwynedd3D Model
Caer Gai is a Grade II listed 17th century gentry house built within the walls of a Roman fort. It was the mansion, or plas, of the Vaughans who held the office of High Sheriff of Meirionnydd six times between 1613 and 1708. The first house is thought to have been built in the late 16th century by Captain Rowland Vaughan MP (c. 1587–1667), a poet, translator and well-known royalist in the English Civil War. His Company fought at the Battle of Naseby in 1645. Following the sacking of this house in August 1645, it was extensively restored, possibly entirely rebuilt, in 1650. It was again restored in the 19th century when the windows were renewed and the internal partitions were replaced. The house is a H-plan with the central hall and wings either side. The front walls have numerous inscribed stones in Latin and Welsh, some in verse & apparently fairly recent in date. There is a former wash house with attached ruinous brewhouse to the south.
A drone photogrammetry model.