Carved Stone Ball, Hillhead, OrkneyYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
This late Neolithic (3200-2400 BC) carved stone ball was found at Hillhead, St Ola, Orkney in the late 19th Century. It formed part of James Walls Cursiter’s collection and is now held in the Hunterian Museum, Glasgow (GLAHM B.1914.353).
The ball is manufactured from Camptonite, an igneous rock available from dykes across west Mainland. The form of this ball is unusual as it has six large knobs and one small knob. Five of the larger knobs are arranged in common regular arrangement for six knobbed balls, but the final knob has been repositioned to make space for the small knob. The grouping of some of the knobs is similar to the ball from Ness of Brodgar.
L: 67.5mm, B: 69.2mm, T: 70.4mm. Weight: 410g
This model was produced for a Leverhulme Trust funded project ‘Working stone, making communities: technology and identity on prehistoric Orkney’. This will feature on a web resource about Orcadian stone tools, which is currently under development.