Loading 3D model
Carved Stone Ball, Hillhead, Orkney 3D Model
This Neolithic carved stone ball was found on 5th April l882, by Mr. George Stevenson, on his farm of Hillhead, St. Ola, Orkney. The raw material has been identifed as a very fined-grained grey serpentine containing talc (magnesium silicate). This design of this stone is very unusual as it exhibits 24 small knobs on one edge that are encircled with spiral. This spiral gives the appearance of a piece of cord binding a stone ball and may represent organic hafting in stone.
This artefact formed part of James Walls Cursiter’s (1851-1939) extensive collection of prehistoric artefacts from Orkney and Shetland. This collection was donated to the Hunterian Museum c.1914.
L: 71.6mm, B:71.2mm, T:72.9mm. W:485g.
GLAHM B.1914.357. © Hunterian Museum
Permission to reproduce images courtesy of the Hunterian, University of Glasgow.