This Neolithic carved stone ball was found on the island of Sanday, Orkney, but its precise findspot is not known. Manufactured from sandston, it exhibits c.27 low rounded knobs; the precise number is difficult to determine.
This artefact formed part of James Walls Cursiter’s (1851-1939) extensive collection of prehistoric artefacts from Orkney and Shetland. This collection was donated to the Hunterian Museum c.1914.
The white ‘884/6’ label indicates that it was exhibited by Cursiter at the 1911 Scottish Exhibition, Glasgow.
L:69.5mm, B:69.5mm, T:69mm. W:366.1g.
GLAHM B.1914.816. © Hunterian Museum
Permission to reproduce images courtesy of the Hunterian, University of Glasgow.