Castell Dinas Bran, Llangollen, Denbighshire3D Model
The 13th century castle of Dinas Bran sits on a prominent hill overlooking the Dee Valley to the north of the town of Llangollen. It lies within a much earlier Iron Age hillfort defended by a substantial earthen rampart and ditch on the south, east and west sides. The entrance into the hillfort was at the south west end where the rampart curves inward and there are traces of internal hut platforms on the eastern grassy slope.
The castle was probably built sometime between 1260-1270 by the princes of Powys Fadog and perhaps most likely by Gruffydd Maelor II. It was burnt by the Welsh before it was captured in 1277 by Henry de Lacy, earl of Lincoln, during the war with Edward Ist. It was seemingly not repaired after the war and ceased to be used after the 1280s.