Consuegra Castle is a fortress of Islamic origin located in the town of Consuegra, the ancient Roman city of Consabura. It passed into Christian hands around the year 1090, but after the battle of Consuegra it was recovered by Islamic troops. In the 12th century it was finally conquered by Christian troops. For its better defense, King Alfonso VIII donated the castle in 1183 to the Military Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, which made it its main fortress in the region. During the Peninsular War (1808–1814) it was occupied by French troops who partially destroyed it in their retreat.
Currently the castle is owned by the Consuegra City Council, being one of the most visited monuments in Castilla-La Mancha.
Model created in Reality Capture from 16,071 images and 192 laser scans
To know more: Molero García, J. (2011): “De encomienda a priorato. El ascenso político de Consuegra en el mapa administrativo de la Orden de San Juan (siglos XII-XV)”. In Consuegra en la historia, pp. 257-288.