CombYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
This comb is made of ivory plates with finely cut teeth between two facing panels of deer bone, originally held together with five iron rivets. One bone panel has the remains of a runic inscription ‘d[ae]usmaeus godaliwalu d / oh / e / lipaecy’, each word being separated by the iron rivets. It translates as “may God the Allruler help Cy….”
Context: Found in an Anglo-Saxon rubbish heap in about 1867
Date: Late 7th to early 8th century
Dimensions: h 50mm x w 90mm
Visit the English Heritage website to learn more about Whitby Abbey.