The cairn is one of the Clyde type cairns. The original cairn appears to have been trapezoidal in plan 33m long, around 22m wide at the east end and tapering down to 3.5m wide at the west end. There was an almost flat façade of upright stones with drystone walling between at the west end flanking the entrance into the chamber. The chamber was constructed of three compartments divided by two septal slabs. The chamber and narrow strip in front of the façade were excavated by Jack Scott of Kelvingrove Museum between 1953 and 1955.