CrossYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
This stone cross may be one of the first free-standing stone crosses in Anglo-Saxon England. Its simple, elegant chevron design echoes the style of earlier wooden crosses. Many originally stood indoors, and were painted or inscribed with a name. However, most Anglo-Saxon crosses were later broken, perhaps deliberately, and reused in construction.
Context: Found north of the abbey church, in a pit, on 3 February 1925
Date: Late 7th to early 8th century
Dimensions: h 1350mm x w 608mm x d 155mm
Visit the English Heritage website to learn more about Whitby Abbey.