Cross of the Scriptures, Clonmacnoise, Ireland3D Model
This high cross (OF005-017—) is called the Cross of the Scriptures because it has commonly been identified with the cross named as such in an entry in the Annals of the Four Masters under the year 1060. It is located in at the early medieval monastic site at Clonmacnoise which was founded by St Ciaran in the 6th century AD. It is located in County Offaly, on the banks of the River Shannon. The descriptions provided are based on the information published in the Archaeological Inventory of County Offaly (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1997) and available online at www.archaeology.ie.