Davidson Ceramic PipeYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
Date: 1861 - 1910
This ceramic pipe, often referred to as a kaolin pipe, is attributed to the Thomas Davidson Jr. and Co. pipe manufacturers based on the last name (Davidson) and location of their headquarters (Glasgow) being embossed along the stem. Davidson’s presence in the pipe sector expanded after he bought out a fellow Scottish pipe manufacturer known as the Murray pipe firm in 1861, which Davidson had possibly managed for several years. His influence in the industry ultimately led to these pipes being known as “TD pipes” after his initials, which were typically embossed on the bowl of the pipe. The particular style of this pipe is known as the “Dutch Cutty”, as it was meant to emulate classic Dutch pipe styles.
This intact pipe was found in Santa Clara’s Old Quad neighborhood. It was professionally excavated from a privy that included several other pipes, thus indicating a reliance on tobacco-use with this household.