Loading 3D model
Distance Slab, Summerston, Antonine Wall
A sandstone distance slab of the Second Legion, found at Summerston Farm, near Balmuildy Fort before 1694. It is 60cm high by 134 cm wide by 14 cm in diameter. The inscription reads:
“For the Emperor Caesar Titus Aelius Hadrianus Antoninus Augustus Pius, father of his country, the Second Augustan Legion completed [this work] over a distance of 3666.5 paces”.
Three legions built the Wall, and erected these stones to record the completion of their individual stretches. This one shows a Roman cavalryman riding down two captives, while on the right hand panel is the capricorn, the emblem of the Second Legion.
The Antonine Wall stretched right across Scotland, from the Clyde to the Forth. Constructed around 142 AD, and occupied for only 20 years, the remains of its ramparts, steep ditches, forts and bathhouses are still visible today.
More information on the World Heritage Site is available on www.antoninewall.org
Hunterian Museum, Glasgow