Fordson Winch - Portland Breakwater, Dorset, UK3D Model
A 1943 Auto-mower winch (on Head A): this unit uses a Fordson Model N tractor for its power unit. The tractor was built in the 1940s and the winch built by The Auto-Mower Engineering Company Limited.
They were built for the Admiralty for hauling ships and landing craft up slipways and may be related to the Second World War loading and unloading of Motor Torpedo Boats (MTBs) on the Breakwater. The winch could handle up to 600 tons..
This winch and related roller are aligned across the harbour enterance. Another cable and roller is aligned a short distance away. The alignment suggests that this winch was used to haul anti-submarine netting up and down, across the harbour entrance, during the Second World War.
The winch and other features on the Portland Breakwater were recorded in 2017 by staff and volunteers from the Maritime Archaeology Trust, art of the Heritage Lottery funded, Forgotten Wrecks project.
Model: Grant Bettinson