Geàrraidh Fliuch - a large sheep-fankYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
Geàrraidh Fliuch is a pre-Clearnce township, cleared and demolished in around 1828 to use its land, and that of several other nearby settlements, for the use by sheep. The township’s land allocation, over 1,000 acres, ran coast to coast, from the Atlantic to Loch Skipport to the North of Beinn an Tairbeirt.
So, this is where many of the houses went! This sheep-fank is 33 metres by 29 metres and incorporates a kilometer long wall dividing the machair range from the ‘black lands’ grazing areas. Careful searching of the walls across this landscape will reveal obvious house parts - lintels and tresholds. The only possible saving grace for this structure is te re-cycling aspect, however, one can never forget the massive social cost of the ethnic cleansing of the clearances, It is visible from Hew Lorimer’s Lady of the Isles statue and modern Uist’s main North-South road.
A 1 Metre red-white ranging pole is aligned North-South. Raw photo sequence for this model was using a GoPro camera on a 7 metre pole.