Gottfried Ephraim Lessing monument on Judenplatz in Vienna’s 1st district. The idea to create a Lessin monument dates back to 1910, but it took another 25 years before it was executed. On 15 June 1935, the monument by Siegfried Charoux was ceremoniously unveiled. In 1939, the monument was confiscated by the National Socialists and melted down for armament purposes in 1940. On 28 May 1968, a new Lessing monument was designed by the same artist and unveiled near the Ruprechtskirche on Franz-Josefs-Kai. In 1981, the monument was returned to its original location on Judenplatz.
Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729-1781) was an important poet. With his dramas and theoretical writings, which above all put the idea of tolerance in the foreground, paved a significant path for the further development of theatre and had a lasting influence on the impact of literature.