Half of a twin capital with a rosette motifYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
The presented capital is one of seven halves of twin capitals uncovered during the years 1947–1953 by archaeologists during research in the course of reconstructing eastern wing of the monastery.
The capital is considered to be one of the best examples of Romanesque masonry in Poland. It comes from the first monastic complex in Tyniec. However, researchers do not agree whether the twin capitals were originally located in the church or in the cloisters.
The capital has the shape of a truncated pyramid turned upside down with a rectangular abacus, damaged in the corners, in the upper part. The head’s surface is covered by floral ornamentation with palmettes, accompanied by an intertwined scroll forming heart-like shapes. On the reverse, there appears the shape of an eight-pointed star formed by the combination of two squares. The centre of the star is filled with a rosette.
4th quarter of the 11th century, Tyniec
Museum of the Benedictine Abbey in Tyniec
Inventory number: DA/165/2012