Halil Bey Mosque (Palia Mousiki)3D ModelNoAI
The Halil Bey Mosque is located at the centre of the peninsula on roads that lead to the acropolis. It is believed that the mosque was built during the reconstruction of the town, in around 1530.
Excavations have uncovered the three-aisled Early Christian Byzantine church of Agia Paraskevi (the remains of which can be seen through the glass floor of the mosque), as well as a small Byzantine-era cemetery. In the early centuries of Ottoman rule it was common practice for mosques to be built on the site of churches or for churches to be converted into mosques.
The mosque was part of a larger complex that also contained a madrasa (a seminary with eight rooms for the students), which also survives in a good condition.
After restoration and conversion work carried out, the space has now been opened to the public and it hosts many exhibitions and events both within the building and in its forecourt. Today it is known as “Palia Mousiki”, that means Old Music.