The torch of the Helsinki Olympic Games of 1952 was designed by the painter and graphic artist Aukusti Tuhka (1859–1973). The shaft was made of birchwood, the bowl of silver. The length of the torch is 60 cm. The bowl carries a laurel ornament, the Olympic rings and the text: XV OLYMPIA HELSINKI 1952 HELSINGFORS HELSINKI. A separate fire cartridge was placed inside the bowl.
The torches were manufactured by the firm Kultakeskus Oy. The total number of torches was 23: sixteen were made of silver, seven of silver-plated brass. After the Games the torches were donated to persons and companies who had assisted in the organisation of relay. The Helsinki 1952 torches are the rarest of all Olympic torches.