KD040-002002 - Round Tower - Graffiti DateYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
A small stone on the Castledermot Round Tower has a date of 1657 inscribed. It may coincide with the period when the church was refurbished in the 17th century after being damaged by Cromwell’s forces. Source Archaeology.ie - The lower portion of the round tower survives (H. c. 20m). It is of granite with limestone pinnings (int diam. 2.5m; wall Th 2.37m). There are five floors with medieval crenellations above two string courses, but the modern floors do not correspond to the original levels. The entrance is at ground level through a flat lintelled battered doorway. There is an arched window on the first floor, and a flat headed windows between the second and third floors. The windows at the top, and the crenelations are of sixteenth century date. It is joined to the church by a vaulted corridor with wicker centring, of fifteenth century type.
Survey: @Dh_Age Funded: Kildare County Council Community Heritage Grant 2017