Loading 3D model
Lady’s shoe, Bar Hill, Antonine Wall 3D Model
A lady’s leather shoe (calceus, type A) found at Bar Hill. It is 23cm long and was found in a refuse pit / ditch. It was normal for the wives of commanding officers to also live in the fort, so this shoe may have belonged to one of them.
The Antonine Wall stretched right across Scotland, from the Clyde to the Forth. Constructed around 142 AD, and occupied for only 20 years, the remains of its ramparts, steep ditches, forts and bathhouses are still visible today. Since 2008, it has been part of the Frontiers of the Roman Empire World Heritage Site.
More information on the World Heritage Site is available on www.antoninewall.org
Reference: F.1936.123 Hunterian Museum, Glasgow