1894 Replica of sculpture by Flaminio Vacca, 1598
The original Medici lions (1598) have since 1789 stood in the Loggia dei Lanzi, Piazza della Signoria, Florence.
Exterior, Walker Art Building, Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick, Maine, USA.
The Museum’s landmark Walker Art Building was commissioned for the College by Harriet and Sophia Walker in honor of their uncle, a Boston businessman who had supported the creation of the first small art gallery at Bowdoin in the mid-nineteenth century. Designed by Charles Follen McKim of McKim, Mead, and White, the building was completed in 1894 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Its brick, limestone, and granite façade is based on Renaissance prototypes, with a dramatically shadowed loggia flanked by large lion sculptures upon which generations of Brunswick children have been photographed.
Bowdoin Magazine: A Look at the Lions
Model by D. Israel using Artec LEO Scanner