3D model of the Hans Knesl sculpture “Mutter mit Kind” from 1949 in the Prof. Knesl open-air museum in Bad Pirawarth.
Hans Knesl was born in Bad Pirwarath in 1905 and grew up in simple circumstances. At the age of eight, he lost his mother and developed into a child who lived mostly in his own world of thought. After completing his apprenticeship, he began studying sculpture in Vienna at the Academy of Fine Arts, which he graduated in 1930 and worked as a freelance artist in Vienna. After the Second World War, he made his living, among other things, with restoration work at Vienna City Hall, the University of Vienna and Laxenburg Palace. At the same time, he began to devote himself again to his beloved sculpture. In 1949 he became a member of the Vienna Künstlerhaus. In 1951 he was appointed to the Academy of Applied Arts as head of the master class for sculpture, a task to which he devoted himself with great dedication.