This model is the result of further programming experiments (C++) on my path to recreating space objects.
If you’re curious, here are a few clues about its creation :
- I initially scattered the stars in a disk-like fashion, and gave them a tangential initial rotation speed.
- The system is driven through a mix of gravitational forces and vorticity, but I had to create additional attractors in a rotating spiral pattern to emphasize the shape of the galaxy arms.
- Note that this “simulation” does not take into consideration the reciprocical attraction between stars (that would take way too long for now…).
- Computing 150 iterations for 50k particles and 54 forces (most due to the “spiral forcing”) took approximately 20 seconds on my laptop.
- Each particle was colored in a range related to their initial distance to the center of the galaxy (red-ish in the center, blue-ish at the rim).
And here is an animated example of the iterative process !
CC AttributionCreative Commons Attribution