Nykvarn, Linköping, Sweden.Your model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
From a miller’s house to an inn.
Nykvarn, in the northern outskirts of Linköping, is situated on the shores of the river Stångån, beside a rapid. The water-power was utilised for milling already in the middle ages. In the 19th century Nykvarn saw the rise of several industries, for instance a brickyard with a water powered crane. A canal and a sluice were built here in the 1860’s, and in the 1940’s a power station was set up on the same spot as the old mill. In 2016/17 an archaeological excavation was carried out in Nykvarn, due to the construction of a fish ladder past the power plant. After some weeks of digging a house foundation with two cellars, a brick kiln, and some other features belonging to the brickyard saw the light of day. The building dated from the beginning of the 18th century and was identified as the miller’s house. In the first half of the 19th century it was turned into an inn. The house was abandoned when the canal was built, and the inn established in a new building not far away.