O’Brien MemorialYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
The O’Brien Monument is a memorial in honor of Major General Johann Freiherr von O’Brien. It was built in 1909 and is located opposite Überfuhrstraße 15–17 on the northern edge of the Aupark in Jedlesee, a district of the 21st district of Floridsdorf in Vienna. In the run-up to the Battle of Aspern, the French tried to translate the Danube at Nußdorf and had already formed an improvised bridgehead on the opposite bank at the level of Schwarzlackenau (today’s Jedlesee). O’Brien, in a leading role, managed to beat the French on May 13, 1809. As a result, Napoleon’s troops were only able to cross the Danube days later (on May 20 at Aspern) and this, in turn, enabled the Austrian army to be organized in an orderly manner.
On the occasion of the centenary of the French fighting in the Schwarzlackenau, the Jedlesee Beautification Association commissioned a memorial, the unveiling of which took place on June 17, 1909.