Pickaquoy Stone, nr Kirkwall, OrkneyYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
In 1864 James Farrer donated this decorated stone to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland, Edinburgh (now National Museums Scotland). It was excavated by Farrer from a site at Pickaquoy on the outskirts of Kirkwall, Orkney. Comparatively little is known about the site on which it was found, but George Petrie visited the site of Farrer’s excavation some years later and described ‘a barrow containing two built cists of graves, or a Pict’s House [an antiquarian name for a chambered tomb]’. Another decorated stone from the excavation has been lost.
This stone may have been a lintel in a chambered tomb and the decoration on this stone is comparable to examples found at Pierowall and Eday Manse.
This stone is on display at National Museums Scotland, Edinburgh. It was photographed under museum lighting conditions.