Rodney Presbyterian Church - Rodney, MSYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
Presbyterian Reverend Jeremiah Chamberlain began the building of the church in 1829. The church building was built from 1829 to 1832 in the Federal architectural style. It was built with red bricks, “rounded archives, “a stepped gable” and “an octagonal bell tower.”
The church played a specific role during the American Civil War of 1861-1865. Indeed, on Sunday, September 13, 1863, Reverend Baker invited crew members of the Union USS Rattler gunboat to attend his service. However, Confederates burst into the church to arrest them. When other Union crew members found out about the Confederate violation of Sunday truce, they fired a cannonball at the church, which damaged its front wall. The damage is still visible to this day.
It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973.