Sanford's Library Paste Jar3D Model
This jar was found during CAP’s 2016 field season in the location of a former building called Station Terrace. Throughout its history, this building functioned as early faculty housing, a tea room, and a trolley station that came from downtown Lansing. The building was eventually physically moved, with half of the building still functioning as a house off campus. The basement and foundations were filled with debris then buried.
The jar still has most of its label preserved so that “Sanford’s Library Paste” is still slightly discernible with other descriptions on the sides of the label easily read (see pictures with the annotations of the labels on the model). The patent for this type of paste jar (with a separate well within the jar) dates to 1898 with it becoming an industry standard in the early 1900s. Check out this blog post for more information on this cool artifact by clicking on this link: http://campusarch.msu.edu/?p=4287 Photogrammetry model created by Jack A. Biggs using Agisoft PhotoScan
CC AttributionCreative Commons Attribution