Santa Luzia FortYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
The Fort of Santa Luzia is located in the Alentejo , in the county of Elvas , district of Portalegre, in Portugal.
Along with the Forte da Piedade, fort of San Francisco, the Forte de São Mamede and the Fort of São Pedro, it was part of the defense of Elvas Square-Forte and integrates complex Town - Border Barracks of Elvas and its Fortifications - Classified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO on 30 June 2012.
Repeatedly besieged during the Restoration War, it was during the siege of the town of Elvas, led by the Spanish commander D. Luís de Haro in 1658, who stood out for his heroic resistance. The Siege of 1658 preceded the Battle of the Lines of Elvas to 14 of January 1659.
In 2014, the Fort of Santa Luzia was part of a new project of the Ministry of National Defense, created with the support of Turismo de Portugal, called Military Tourism, which features historical itineraries based on Portuguese heroes.