ŠiluvaYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
The first church of Šiluva was established on September 1st, 1475 and was named Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In 1613 the town was first mentioned on the map. After the reformation the lands of the Catholics were regained, and the church was rebuilt in 1623-1624. From 1646 the painting Blessed Virgin Mary with the Divine Child became known for favours gained while praying by it. The current brick basilica, named Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was consecrated on September 8th, 1786. On the same day, with the approval from the Pope, the painting of Mary was crowned in the Basilica. It is the highest way to pay respect to the painting and acknowledge its importance to the prayers of the faithful. On September 7th , 1993, Pope John Paul II came to Šiluva.
© Saulius Zaura www.dronepartner.lt 2020