Šiluva BASILICA3D Model
Šiluva BASILICA OF THE NATIVITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY The church founded by Petras Simonas Gedgaudas in 1457 did not survive as a result of the Reformation spreading over Šiluva in the 16th century. The land and property of the church were taken away, the church itself was closed and demolished. Only the title of the church, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, given by the founder himself, remained due to its popularity. After the Apparition of Virgin Mary in 1608 founding documents of the first church and documents proving the land belonged to the Catholics were miraculously found. Based on them in 1622 a court case was finally won after going on for fifteen years and Šiluva was given back to the Catholics. In 1623-1624 a new small wooden church was built. In 1941, when the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was revived and crowds of people started taking part in it, a larger cross-shaped wooden church was built.
© Saulius Zaura www.dronepartner.lt 2020