South-east Hogback, Giant‘s Grave, PenrithYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
The south-east stone of 4 hogbacks and 2 early Anglian high crosses forming the Giant’s Grave, a Scheduled Monument, at St Andrews Church, Penrith, Cumbria. Hogback stones are narrow ridged tomb markers built for Anglo-Saxon or Scandinavian elites during 8th–10th centuries AD. As with high crosses, hogback stones can be decorated with images and knotwork patterns. Hogbacks are found in northern England and extend up to Viking Scotland. W.G. Collingwood’s drawing (1923) reveals the south-east stone’s decorations.
The original positions of the stones are unknown as they were re-arranged to form the Giant’s Grave during 1720–22 when the church was rebuilt. The hogbacks were intended for a culvert but saved by protesting locals. The south-east hogback stone was broken in two but reclamped with iron, which is visible on the model.
Lumix FZ200 photos taken June 2017 and processed in 3DF Zephyr Free.