1596 Spanish Blade
Catalogue Number: OC 012
Late 16th C. Spanish rapier. Blade marked “Alonzo de Sahagun Me Fecit” on one side, and “En Toledo MXD CVI” on the opposite. The hilt is most likely 40 or 50 years older than the current blade, and of a quality indicating the relatively high status of the owner. The grip is the original wood, and would have been bound in wire, now missing. The hilt has traces of gold in recesses, most obvious in the pommel.
To learn more about this blade, read more here on The Oakeshott Institute’s Patreon page.
- Overall Length : 46.75 in | 1187mm
- Blade Length from front of guard: 39 in | 990mm
- Blade Length from block: 40.68 in | 1010mm
- Blade Width: 1.19 in | 30mm
- Grip Length : 3.5 in | 89mm
- Center of Mass : 1.25 in | 31.75mm (from crossguard)
- Weight: 2.22 lbs | 1010 gr