St Hilda’s Well, Hinderwell, North YorkshireYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
St Hilda’s Well is found at the bottom of a south facing slope in the churchyard of St Hilda’s Church, Hinderwell, North Yorkshire. According to legend, the famous Abbess of Whitby, St Hilda (AD 614–680) was asked to intercede with a drought in the local area. After praying a spring bubbled from the hillside. It became a place of pilgrimage during the Middle Ages as the waters were believed to hold healing properties to cure eye diseases. The name of the village of Hinderwell comes from old EnglishHildewella meaning Hild’s well. The current well structure was the result of a restoration project in 1912 and now is a Graded II Listed Scheduled Monument.
Photographs taken April 2013.