St James Church Bix BrandYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
The two old villages of Bix Brand and Bix Gibwyn were in the valley bottom north of the current village of Bix. They were on an old road from Henley-on-Thames to Oxford which was superseded by a turnpike in 1736 along the ridge so the villagers moved up to the new road. A new church, also called St James, was built in the new village in 1874.
This church was originally Norman with later Perpendicular Gothic alterations. It was abandoned in 1875 and allowed to fall into ruin. Until recently, it was overgrown but was cleared and preserved in 2015 with Heritage Lottery funding. The other church at Bix Gibwyn was totally demolished.