St Paul's Church iPhone Test Scan DoorwayYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
The original parish church of Clapham was St Mary’s Church which dated from the 12th century. St Mary’s was renamed Trinity Church after the Reformation. It was taken down under an act of Parliament in 1774 and a new Holy Trinity Church was built on Clapham Common in 1775. The north aisle of the former church was left standing for the performance of burials.
St Paul’s Church was built at the beginning of the 19th century on the site of the former St Mary’s/Holy Trinity Church. The building was completed in 1815 as a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity, Clapham. It was assigned a separate Ecclesiastical District in 1861. The churchyard was closed for burials in 1854. Among those buried in the churchyard were Roundhead soldiers killed in the English Civil War. The churchyard has largely been cleared of gravestones but the Revd TC Dale made a record in the 1920s of all gravestones and monumental inscriptions existing at the time.