The south doorway is one of the few remaining features from the early 13th-century building, deliberately preserved during the 18th-century restoration. Though weathered the doorway is a fine example of early Norman/Romanesque architecture, with typically engaged colonettes decorated with waterleaf,foliage and nailhead moulding in the jambs. The wooden colonette replacement was first mentioned in 1809 and illustrated in 1812. Notably, Roman bricks are present in the bottom left section of the wall.
St Peter’s Church is thought to have been built in the 12th-century, possibly with Anglo-Saxon origins. Most of the church seen today is Georgian and was heavily reconstructed in 1781 when the Norman nave and chancel were demolished and rebuilt following a long period of ruin. The Georgian reconstruction reused much of the original material, including Roman tiles and bricks robbed from the ruins of Roman Cambridge, including the once-adjacent 4th-century town wall.
St Peter’s Church is open daily from 10am-4pm
CC AttributionCreative Commons Attribution