The General José de San Martín Memorial3D Model
The General José de San Martín Memorial pays tribute to this military leader and significant figure in the independence movement of Latin America from the Spanish Empire. Given to the United States by Argentina, it was the first sculpture of its kind to be gifted to Washington, D.C. from a foreign nation. The statue was officially dedicated on October 28, 1925, in Judiciary Square. It was moved to Triangle Park on Reservation No. 106 of the National Mall and Memorial Parks in the 1970s, bounded by Virginia Avenue, E. Street, and 20th Street Northwest.
The bronze statue is a copy of a work created by French Sculptor Augustin-Alexandre Dumont (1801-1884), the original of which is in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The design of José de San Martín ‘s statue consists of a 12’-9 5/16” ‘ tall bronze equestrian statue mounted over a 12’-10” high concrete pedestal with tapering sides.
The model was created by Paul Davidson, HABS Architect and Amie Sardinha, Latino Heritage Internship Program Summer Architect.