The Giant's Cave, Carnmenellis, CornwallYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
From the historic environment record:
The Giant’s Cave is recorded as ‘tumulus’ on the 1963 OS map at this location. This feature is first recorded in 1819. Hunt lists it as the site of a barrow 29m in diameter. The OS fieldworker in 1971 however found this was not a cairn or barrow chamber, but a post medieval chamber which had attracted a medieval name by the late C19. It consists of a ‘cave’ dug out beneath the west side of a surface slab of granite on the east half of which are two smaller slabs. The chamber so formed is approx 6.0m by 6.0m and 1.4m high. A drillhole in an upright stone by the entrance suggests that there was a door or gate across it. The material excavated to form the ‘cave’ is piled either side of the entrance.
CC Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivsCC Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs