The Last Built Scottish Poorhouse, Leith, 19063D Model
Leith motto: “PERSEVERE” under the coat of arms: “Argent, in the sea Proper, an ancient galley with two masts sails furled Sable, flagged Gules, seated therein the Virgin Mary with the infant Saviour in her arms and a cloud resting over their heads”
This stonework was part of Seafield Road Poorhouse Administrative building. The poorhouse had around 650 inmates. Information about the properties ‘inmates’ can be found here http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Leith/SouthLeith1881.shtml.
During the First World War the site was used as a military hospital and nurses’ home, a seperate nurses’ dining room and wooden operating theatre were added. In August 1918, it was utilised by the United States Navy. From 1930 it was known as the Eastern General Hospital. By 2001 the site only operated as a day hospital and was closed in 2007. A large fire damaged the building later that year and a new housing estate was later established on the cleared grounds.
294 images. Normal settings, Image downscale (3). Autodecimated by RC