The Rock at MSUYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
“The Rock” at MSU (located off Farm Lane near the north bank of the Red Cedar River) is an important part of the cultural landscape for the university. Acting as a billboard, the Rock is painted by students to advertise events, bring awareness to causes, participate in political discourse, and much more.
Originally unearthed at the intersection of Grand River Ave. and Michigan Ave. in East Lansing in 1873, the Rock was the first official class gift to the college from the class of 1873. It was placed in the Sacred Space near Beaumont Tower and bore “Class ‘73” carved into it, now unseen due to numerous paint layers. Rather than standing upright, it laid flat on the ground and became a popular spot for couples to get engaged, which gave it the nickname “Engagement Rock”.
The Rock was moved to its current location in 1985 and has since become a university-wide medium for free speech.
CAP fellows painted the Rock in May 14th, 2019 so that this model could be made.
Photogrammetry model made by Jack A. Biggs
CC AttributionCreative Commons AttributionLearn more