Loading 3D model
The Tile Pavement, Oxford Westgate
Best viewed in fullscreen, this small section of tiled pavement was the floor in the south-west corner of the Main Cloister Walk. Initial results suggest it formed the primary floor which was laid in the years immediately after AD 1244, and was therefore in use for 300 years up to the Dissolution when Henry VIII closed the Friary in AD 1538, after-which it was demolished and useful building materials taken away for reuse elsewhere. This is the only surviving section that has been recovered, but the entire Cloister Walk and other areas of the Friary would have been floored in this manner.
A second smaller cloister lay to the south.
Part of the larger excavation can be found here: https://skfb.ly/MsCz