Tregeseal Entrance Grave - point cloudYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
This barrow was excavated in 1879 by WC Borlase. The chamber survives with two capstones still in place. It is oriented NW-SE, but we do not know which end was the original entrance. Finds include sherds, ashes (cremations), a whetstone in the chamber and a Middle Bronze Age ribbon handled urn in the cist. The urn is now in the British Museum. It is possible that the monument present today represents two phases - an original neolithic chambered barrow with a later Bronze Age cist, which may have also been when the mound was enlarged.
The chamber is 3.8m long, averaging 1.2m wide. The north end is covered by two stone slabs for a distance of 1.9m. The internal height of the chamber is 0.7m. The mound denotes the extent of the barrow, marked by possible kerb stones.
3D scan for Penwith Landscape Partnership by the Curatorial Research Centre.