Ville-ès-Nouaux Dolmen - St Andrew's ParkYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
VILLE-ÈS-NOUAUX This Late Neolithic gallery grave (or allée couverte) was built around 5,000 years ago (3250-2250 BC). It consists of a rectangular chamber set within an enclosure of upright stones, which may originally have formed the edge of a long low mound that covered the monument. The site was excavated in 1869 by S P Oliver and F Porter and re-excavated by Bellis & Cable in 1883. This is a Late Neolithic/Chalcolithic cist-incircle (2850-2250 BC). The central stone cist (box) would probably have contained human remains but was found to be totally empty when excavated in 1883 by Bellis & Cable. The cist was originally surrounded by a ring of rocks set on edge and covered by a low mound. A number of roughly made urns containing cremated human remains were found buried close to the tombs these are typical of a late Bronze or early Iron Age grave (800-450 BC).