Whiteford Lighthouse, Whiteford Point, Gower, Wales
This lighthouse was built in 1865 by the Llanelli Harbour and Burry Navigation Commissioners, replacing an earlier wooden piled structure. The lighthouse remained in use until the 1920s.
The lighthouse is principally built from a series of cast iron plates which have been bolted together. Internally the lighthouse is lined with brick, two rooms below the lantern served as accommodation and stores. A pitched stone apron surrounds the base of the lighthouse, The apron is being eroded by the sea, which is also undermining the base of the tower. The lighthouse stands to a height of about 15 metres and stands in around 6 metres of water at high tide. The base of the lighthouse can be accessed on foot at low tide.
Grid Reference: SS 443 972
Kite Aerial Photography used. There are ballusters all the way around the balcony, but these have modelled poorly
Photographed: 29 April 2018 Model created: December 2020 using Agisoft MetaShape