The moment is here… Castles were built, dragons were slain and countless adventures took place on Sketchfab during the last four weeks. But every tale must come to an end, and it’s now time to declare the victors!
We selected the winners by inviting our judges and teams to select their top 5 favourite entries. To refresh your memory, here’s our list of official judges for this contest:
- Liz Edwards , VR artist and Tilt Brush Artist in Residence.
- Joshua Marinacci – O’Reilly author, UX wonk, and recovering engineer; Josh is a senior developer evangelist at Mozilla, working on Mixed Reality for the Web.
- Christopher Van Wiemeersch got his start in making sites for film companies and indie startups. At Mozilla, he now designs for developers making web apps, browser extensions, and Virtual Reality.
As judge Elliott Mitchell was unfortunately not able to vote, we decided to let the combined votes of the Sketchfab and Mozilla Teams and the Sketchfab Masters count for 25% of the final scores.
Over 280 artists participated in this contest, and a little over 100 submitted a final entry. You can see all entries in the contest tag gallery.
Ready? Let’s go!
3rd prize: Wrath of the Dragon by Fabian Orrego
- Liz Edwards: “What a stunning scene! I love the characters and the chunky castle assets have a lot of potential.”
- Sketchfab Master Essimoon: “Very atmospheric and a lot of implied motion.”
Congratulations Fabian! You will receive a Wacom Intuos Pro Tablet (total value of over $250).
2nd prize: Middle Ages Mine by Vladislav Laryushin
- Christopher Van Wiemeersh: “This is without a doubt a polished, detailed world of medieval fantasy. This scene runs on the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, iPhone 7, and Samsung Gear VR (ran a few times but otherwise crashed). The annotations are well placed, and I had a good chuckle reading the commentary notes. There are many useful objects in this scene that could be repurposed by a creative maker. Despite its hilly architecture (which proves difficult to navigate with VR teleportation), this scene is fun to explore. Bonus points for the Sketchfab + Mozilla logo treatment and the level of detail. The whimsy contained in this scene is noteworthy: the finishing touch of the worker, chiseling away at the rock, putting a “finishing touch” on the scene. The artist did an unbelievable job posting regular development updates to the Sketchfab Forum. Incrementally built and exquisitely finished. Very inspiring scene.”
- Josh Marinacci: So many little details that I could pull out and reuse while being cute and coherent. And they somehow made it fit under 50k.
Excellent work Vladislav! We will send you a complete Oculus Rift VR set, consisting of a headset, 2 Touch controllers and 2 Sensors (total value of over $700).
1st prize: Baba Yaga’s hut by Inuciian
- Liz Edwards: “This scene is so gorgeous and such a fantastic idea. Every asset looks like it was made with love and would be so fun to interact with in VR. The garlic is my favourite!”
- Josh Marinacci: “Tons of great little details. It feels immersive. I appreciate them adding some animation”.
BRAVO Inuciian! We’re sending you the complete VR Set – VR-Ready Laptop + Oculus Rift (value of over $3000!).
Surprise: 4th and 5th prizes!
And that’s not all! It was such a hard job choosing the winners with so many gorgeous entries that at, the last moment, Mozilla offered two extra Wacom Intuos Pro Tablets for the 4th and 5th place!
4th prize: Thor and the Midgard Serpent by Mr. the Rich
- Josh Marinacci: “The visual story is fun and very different than the many European style entries.”
- Sketchfab Master dark-minaz: “Amazing composition, nice effects, some unique models.”
Mr. the Rich will receive a Wacom Intuos Pro Tablet (total value of over $250).
5th prize: Medieval Fantasy Book by PIXEL
- Liz Edwards: “Not only is the scene absolutely lovely, this collection of assets stood out to me as high quality and one of the most comprehensive. Tons of potential.”
PIXEL will receive a Wacom Intuos Pro Tablet (total value of over $250).
Finally, these 10 runners up will receive a collection of Sketchfab and Mozilla swag – like T-shirts, hoodies, and stickers:
- Medieval Fantasy | Market Square by Feyfolken-Km
- Blacksmith’s workshop by Kyan0s
- Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest by lisa_shcheglova
- Dragon Attack Aftermath by Guillermo T
- Medieval Labyrinth by NomadKing
- Medieval Japan Scene by ExparG
- HallOfTheKing”One Hand” by Aleksandr_Chub
- The Living Forest by proxy_doug
- Troll Attack! by patdunal
- Mega Scene by VitSh
We’re actually a bit sad that this contest has come to an end – we had SO MUCH fun running this one! Both the amazing artwork and the fantastic collaboration with Mozilla made it a pleasure to work on.
But it’s not entirely over yet: both Mozilla and Sketchfab are planning follow-up activities with the assets that were created. Stay tuned 🙂